Saturday, July 21, 2012

New Jersey

OK, first off, I apologize in advance to all my acquaintances from New Jersey.  I know you didn't personally make New Jersey the way it is.  You didn't decide to make all the left-hand turns begin from the far right lanes.  You didn't decide to establish jug-handles.  I know this.  I know my New Jersey friends are decent, loving, hard working people. 

So, now the rant.

Between my Garmin deciding to have a hissy fit, and the jug handle thingy, I never wanted to visit New Jersey again.  Part of my rant is due to my own memory problems.  You see, we have driven through New Jersey with Pooh II at least twice before.  I should have remembered the left turn idiocy in that state.  It's impossible to move to that right lane - in a motorhome towing a car - quickly.  I should have remembered, I really should have.  But I didn't.

And, by the way, how about using some of those exorbitant road tolls to FIX THE ROADS????  The rough roads in Jersey resulted in (1) a broken microwave oven door, (2) a broken glass coffee carafe, (3) a broken light switch in the bedroom, and (4) a cracked windshield.  And these damages occurred on the FREEWAYS!

Enough, I say ... enough.

No hint of upcoming trouble as we crossed the Tappan Zee bridge

Oh, about that Garmin fit?  What on earth was it thinking when it took us off the Garden State thruway and put us on the road back to Manhattan via the Lincoln Tunnel?  Had we not just avoided Manhattan altogether by going over the Tappan Zee Bridge to the north?

How in the world did we get on the back side of Newark Airport?

Just in time ... and in the bowels of a New Jersey trucking area . . . we found our way to I-95 South and were on our way again.


Finally, an entrance to I-95
We finally made it to the southern tip of New Jersey and stayed in a lovely park for the night.  We decided that we probably would drive through Jersey again, but we would definitely double-check all directions from Garmin, and we would not get off of any major freeways.

On to Alexandria, and the traffic of the Washington, DC, area.  It may be crowded down there, but the roads make sense.


No comments: